Calling all banana-free people of the universe!
This is a smoothie bowl. It has no banana.
What? Why not?
Well, if you are intolerant to bananas (like me), allergic, don't like the taste, or just trying to reduce your sugar intake, but still want that smoothie bowl ritual, then this recipe is for you.
It contains a few simple ingredients that you probably already have around the house! It's also still very rich and creamy thanks to the addition of oats, zucchini and avocado rather than a banana.
The addition of zucchini provides a thickness and creaminess without the banana. And you can't even taste it, promise!! I love using Dole's frozen blackberries in this recipe since they are available all year round and give the bowl such a pretty blue color.
- 1 frozen zucchini
- 1/4 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 3 tbsp gluten free oats
- 1/4 frozen avocado
- 1/4 cup frozen Dole blackberries
- toppings: fresh blackberries, gluten free granola, peanut butter, almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, mulberries, sesame seeds, cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds, and a tablespoon of goji berries. Don't forget the peanut butter drizzle on top!
- The night before you want to make your bowl, cut up that zucchini into small 2" chunks and freeze. Peel the skin off your avocado and place in glass tupperware and freeze as well.
- In the morning, place your frozen blackberries, frozen zucchini, frozen avocado, oats, and nut milk in a blender and blend for 2 minutes. You may need to add more/less nut milk depending on your blender to get the right thickness. Basically, you want it thick and creamy so it can support your toppings!
- Pour into a bowl and top with all the goodies. I love using fresh blackberries, gluten free granola, peanut butter, almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, mulberries, sesame seeds, cacao nibs, pumpkin seeds, peanut butter and some goji berries. Enjoy!