Behold, the perfect bowl of macaroni + cheese.
As we say goodbye to summer and hello to fall, I am so excited to present to you a (dare I say it) healthy, protein-rich of one of America's all-time favorite meals: macaroni and cheese.
Not only is this dish gluten free and dairy free, it's 100% vegan, nut free, and GRAIN FREE! It's super creamy (makes that delightful crinkly sound when you stir it), good for you and easy to make!
How is it made?
For the noodles, I used Organic Chickpea Fusilli from Explore Cuisine. These noodles contain 4 ingredients and are super clean and good for you. They are easy on the tummy and super filling with a whopping 11g of protein per serving.
For the sauce, I blended up a can of chickpeas with nutritional yeast, garlic, scallion, lemon, salt, pepper, and olive oil in my Nutribullet and got a creamy alfredo-like pasta sauce. It's also good on roasted veggies, poured over tacos, and as a dip for raw veggies (I tried it.. a lot)
- 1/2 box Organic Chickpea Fusilli (I used Explore Cuisine but Banza also makes a good one!!)
- 1 can chickpeas
- juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 scallion (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- reserved 1/4 cup water from the pasta cooking!
- optional: baby spinach, cherry tomatoes
- Cook the pasta following the directions on the box. *SAVE SOME WATER FROM THE POT! you will need this for the sauce*
- Once the pasta is done cooking, set it aside and make your sauce. Lightly rinse + drain your chickpeas and place into a blender with the lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, scallion, olive oil, and 1/4 cup of the water from the water the pasta is cooking in.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until completely smooth. Add more water if you need to. Then, place into a big pasta bowl and pour over pasta. Mix well. Add some broiled cherry tomatoes here and wilted spinach if you'd like, or get fancy and add in some roasted vegetables or a fried egg.