Nice cream, otherwise known as the vegan "ice cream", is a delicious blend of frozen bananas, sometimes dates, and other sweet things in a food processor or Vitamix to mimic the taste and texture of ice cream. It sure is delicious, but it's also high AF in sugar and can cause all sorts of issues: bloat, migraine, spiked blood sugar levels, fatigue, acne, and hormonal imbalance.
So, I set out to make a protein packed, veggie-filled, "nice cream" for those looking for a lower in sugar recipe. It's great post workout as it's high in protein too. This is a great base recipe and you can make it your own by adding greens, cacao, adaptogens, matcha, or different nut butters.
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (i use @alohamoment or @cleanprogram)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (make sure it’s ground first, ground flax helps thicken it up and is easier for your body to digest!)
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter (or almond butter)
- 2 tablespoons chia seed
- 1 cup frozen steamed zucchini
- 1/4 frozen avocado (i know its TECHNICALLY a fruit, but its so low in sugar and high in fat i always count it as a veg)
- 1/2 cup frozen steamed sweet potato
- pinch cinnamon
- 2 cups hemp milk (or any nut milk works here just make sure its unsweetened)
- Add all ingredients a food processor or vitamix.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes, until its super thick and creamy. Make sure you use your tamper on the vitamix or continuously scrape down the sides.
- Top with coconut flakes!