Tis the season.
The holiday season. And with that (for me at least) comes a huge desire to bake. I want my house to smell like a French bakery, with notes of sugar and butter and spices. Yeah, the candles are nice, but sometimes I just want the real deal.
And same goes for diet. Usually I like to adhere to a pretty low sugar lifestyle, but I like to treat myself and if there's one time of year to do that- it's absolutely the holiday season.
So behold...my chewy gooey chocolate chip cookies. The answer to your "I want a gluten free cookie but I don't want to eat cardboard" prayers.
They contain a secret ingredient..almond milk cream cheese. This makes them soft and gooey without the crunchy stale taste many gluten free cookies have.
I used this this recipe as a foundation and adapted to make it a little more #LFA friendly. My recipe uses no refined sugars and I halved the butter and added some almond butter in there for a nice nutty texture. My recipe is also egg free so it's perfect for those with egg allergies or sensitivities.
It is a little step intensive so make sure you follow each step carefully for the best possible results- and watch the cookies to make sure they don't burn! Happy baking, ya'll!
Loosely adapted from My Gluten-Free Kitchen
Chewy Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 20 cookies
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (I use Trader Joe's or Cup4Cup)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (omit if gluten-free flour blend has xanthan or guar gum already)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt (I used pink Himalayan)
- 2 ounces almond milk cream cheese, room temp (sub with vegan or dairy cream cheese if you'd like!)
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter (sub vegan if dairy-free)
- 4 tbsp almond butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 cup packed maple sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder (or extract)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seed, 4 tbsp water. mix in bowl, let sit five minutes)
- 3.3 oz of chopped up no added sugar Eating Evolved chocolate bars, or chocolate chips!
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk gluten free flour, xanthum gum (only if your GF flour doesn't have it already in the mix), salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Melt butter
- Place cream cheese into the stand mixer bowl. Add butter and almond butter over cream cheese. Add maple sugar and mix on medium to for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean powder and flax eggs. Mix low until well combined.
- Add flour to mixture and beat on low until well mixed.
- Add the chocolate chips and continue to mix.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove from fridge and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper (do not use cooking spray!)
- Using your hands or a cookie scooper, scoop mounds of cookie dough to the parchment paper. 10 cookies per sheet works great.
- Bake cookies for 10-11 minutes. Remove. They will still be super soft and undercooked but they harden within minutes.
- Eat and enjoy within 2 days (but definitely best enjoyed immediately with a tall glass of hemp milk)