One of my newer grain obsessions is buckwheat. Buckwheat is filled to the brim with powerful antioxidants, proteins, and all sorts of vitamins and minerals. I love adding activated buckwheat to top my smoothies with, but I had never thought of cooking them down into a porridge until the fall weather hit.
This sweet potato buckwheat porridge bowl is warming, energizing, and is a great canvas for getting creative with superfood toppings!
Buckwheat porridge also stays very well in the fridge for up to 3 days. This allows us to have healthy breakfasts with ease all week long. Just store leftovers in a mason jar, add your toppings in the morning and boom! You've just made an epic breakfast.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk of your choice
- 1 sweet potato, boiled or roasted, skinned, and mashed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Toppings: pomegranate, coconut shreds, sunflower seed butter, figs, blueberries, rawnola, hemp seeds, and pumpkin seeds
- Place your buckwheat and milk into a large pot over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract, stir well.
- Add mashed sweet potato to mixture and stir. Cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Place into bowls and add your toppings. I like to use hemp seeds, pom seeds, coconut shreds, figs, sunflower seed butter, blueberries, bee pollen, rawnola, and pumpkin seeds.